Karimia Institute was founded in 1990 with the support of the local community in Nottingham by Dr Musharraf Hussain al-Azhari OBE.
Karimia Institute is a national charity working across the United Kingdom. We are an innovative and dynamic Muslim organisation. We have developed centres for worship, education, training and self-development in various locations around the UK. The scope and variety of our activities are focused on bringing about a personal, spiritual and moral awakening in the individual.
Our headquarters are located in Nottingham where we deliver services and a range of projects. We offer wide range of services from our centres. In addition to the daily prayers, we have advice and counselling; education for children and adults; services related to marriage and death and more.
Karimia Institute, its volunteers and staff are driven to serving others, especially those that are underprivileged and vulnerable in our society.
We work in partnership with many organisations including Nottingham City Council, the local Primary Care Trust, Interfaith Forum, Nottinghamshire Police, Nottingham Citizens and others to help contribute towards improvements in education, health provision, environment, and community cohesion.
Karimia Institute has been providing educational, community welfare and religious services to the Muslim community since 1990. All these activities are helping the Muslims of Nottingham and other cities to both fulfil their religious obligations and to live as good citizens.
We have a diverse portfolio (some activities are listed below):
- Six Jamia Masjids – 3 in Nottingham, Oldham, Birmingham and Walsall with more than 2000 worshippers
- Eight Quran schools attended by over 1200 children daily
- Published ‘The Majestic Quran’, a range of books, booklets and the Invitation magazine
- Radio Dawn 107.6 FM, a community radio station, broadcasting 24/7
- A range of websites:
- Interfaith activities and Trust Building Forum
- Zaytuna and Fig Tree Nurseries
- Set up part-time Alim course
- A range of classes for adults including Arabic and variety of Islamic studies courses
- Supporting and guiding new Muslims
- A range of Youth projects including leadership training and residential trips
- The Quran school resources, including a modern Qaida, textbooks, workbooks and posters
- Established the National Quran Teachers training programme; supporting 50 Mosques and Quran schools in the UK
Karimia Institute serves the whole community; toddlers, infants, teenagers, men and women by helping them to fulfil their religious responsibilities through our various activities. A dedicated team of staff consisting of more than a hundred people and an equal number of volunteers, generous funders, and committed partners ensure we deliver professional, quality and friendly services. However, the challenges we face are immense; an increasingly secular society in which Muslims remain unsure of how Islam ‘fits’ in British society. This is compounded by the lack of Muslim engagement with others and further exacerbated by rising Islamophobia.
We are striving to break these cycles, by promoting trust building and interfaith dialogue, integration, good citizenship, promoting moral and spiritual development of the individual and society. By the grace of Allah, we can say that we are building trust with British institutions like the Armed Forces, the Local Councils, Universities, Civic organisations and local industry. We look forward to the future where we all live in trusting relationships, in a harmonious, happy and proud Britain.
- Rabi al-Awwal Mubarak 18th September 2023
- A Resounding Success in the Heart of Peak District 29th August 2023
- The Nottingham Cultural Festival: Outstanding Achievement 31st July 2023